Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Using Voicethread with ESL learners

After several hours of browsing the wiki for this class and looking at the various social technologies out there in the clouds, I find the use of Voicethread in ESL instruction to be the most intriguing. While watching several demonstrations, I discovered that I needed to click the little X in the box above the speaker before I started listening to another person. I couldn't figure out which people were talking (their mouths don't move on their photos), so I ended up listening to four people talking at once. I definitely need to learn how to navigate around this program. Nevertheless, I managed to hear some interesting ways to use Voicethread in the classroom. It provides an opportunity for even the quiet students to voice an observation or opinion about a photo of their choice or that of a classmate or teacher. It gives ESL students a chance to hear their own voices and to delete and record again if they don't like their initial recordings. Students who are not extremely fluent can prepare a written script to help them make their recordings. I would like to learn more about using this technology in my classroom.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you found something that might be helpful to you in your teaching. I agree that VoiceThread has the capability of being a powerful tool for us in ESL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been trying to set up something with Voicethread and so far, no luck. I wish you better luck.

    ReplyDelete